Monday, May 7, 2012

Potty learning

Well, I think we are well on our way to potty learning. It's not training, my child is not an animal nor do I want him to use the potty because I said so. Just like anything else, it's a process and I'm here to be his teacher, his guide.
For months now he's been using the potty, but with no urgency to get out of diapers. I've been feeling lately like he's more ready, so he and I went pick out some undies for him. He was super excited about this, and we probably ended up with more undies than needed. Ah well, I wasn't going to squash that enthusiasm.
We call them comfy undies. I've never really cared for using the term "big boy" (or good job for that matter but that's another post), and even when Scott or I would say big boy, Cohen would just say, "No, I a kitty cat." Hah! So, comfy it is, and comfy is good. He likes wearing them, and would prefer that to a diaper now. Sure, he has accidents now and then, but that's totally to be expected since he's been potting on himself for the past two years.
Now, he'll start to pee, and realize it, then he'll stop and alert me some sort of way and we will make a mad dash to a potty. Usually he'll say "clean it" or "yucky?", then I'll notice and we will go potty and then clean up the accident site. No pressure, no shaming. Only positive and encouragement.












Undies are a million times cuter than diapers anyway. So bittersweet. I'm loving my growing boy and already missing the babe he was just a few months ago even. Such is life I suppose. Just gotta savor every moment. Every night spent rocking a fussy babe. Every nursing session. Every cuddle. Every mad search for the lost noonie in the middle of the night. Every diaper change.




"Dat's mine helmet!! Ridin' my skateboard, Mama!!"

No comments:

Post a Comment