They've taken my memory, so I blog to remember the good and the bad, but mostly the good. :)
Thursday, March 24, 2011
Happy birthday baby boy!!
:-D so my babe is one. And here's his journey into the world.
Scott and I got to the hospital a little after midnight as directed. After checking in and getting settled into a room, the pitocin was started around 1:30am. I was about 2cm and 50% effaced at the beginning. I tried to sleep as much as I could, but it seemed like there was a nurse coming check on something every 10 minutes. A couple times in the night they came in and told me to reposition onto my side so Cohen could relax as his heart rate was all over the place.
At about 7:45am my dr came and checked me. I think I was about 4cm and 80%. She also broke my water by using only her fingers. My contractions were NEVER regular, so she said she thought it would be a while yet. She said she would be back to check on me in about two hours.
My parents and in-laws came to visit for a while, and were chatting amongst themselves in the room. I remember thinking I just wanted them to shut up and leave. Haha! At about 9:30 things were feeling more intense for me, and I wanted everyone but Scott out but didn't want to be rude, so I said I had to pee and they had to leave. Well, I tried to pee and nothing.
Then things get blurry.
My blood pressure started going crazy and Cohen's heart rate kept dropping, so my nurse said she was going to check me and put a monitor on his head. She said I was at about 6-7cm and 90% and I remember being so disappointed because things were really intense and I wanted to do this without an epidural. I asked her for some pain meds to take the edge off and she said she couldn't give me anything because of his dropping heart rate. (I wish she would have just told me I was in transition!) this was about 9:45.
I remember getting through contractions by exhaling really hard while holding Scott's hand. They didn't really hurt exactly, it was just overwhelmingly intense. I kept thinking, I'll either have this baby or die, but either way it'll be over soon. (isn't that awful?!)
Then, something amazing happened. My body knew just what to do. My uterus started pushing! My slightly panicking nurse looked in between my legs and got on her walkie talkie and requested backup and doctor NOW as this baby is coming!!
Then the room filled with nurses. I remember looking all around my bed and seeing a face everywhere I turned. One nurse in particular kept telling me not to push, and I remember telling her, "I'm not!!"
My doctor walked (ran, rather) into my room and as she was scrubbing down, people were suiting her up. She got to me and finally they said I could push. They counted through the pushes, all THREE of them. At 10:03am Cohen was officially born weighing 8 pounds and 14.3 ounces. He was 20 inches long. My doctor put him straight away on my belly and Scott cut the cord. She told scott she was going to give him a pair of gloves the next time i came to her pregnant because we won't make it to the hospital if my water breaks that went so quickly!! Then they took Cohen over to be checked out, weighed, etc but all in the same room. My dr told me I had brush burn pretty much everywhere, and there were two small places she wanted to stitch up. My god that was awful. Before she was finished, Cohen was placed back in my arms (well, on my chest as I remember clenching the bed rails in pain from the suturing) and he was wanting to nurse! He was rooting! Just like I read he would be! I was amazed! As soon as my privates were done being mauled, I nursed for the very first time. He latched right away, although looking back, it was probably a terrible latch at first, but we got through it.
I think I'll spare the rest of the hospital stay as it wasn't all too pleasant, although he did get to room in with me. Our hospital has recently become "baby friendly," so that was really nice. We got discharged the next afternoon thankfully.
I was sore for weeks. Literally. And weeks. And weeks. Recovery was so hard on me. I think I'll spare those details as well. Labor and delivery were a breeze compared to recovery for me.
Anywho, sometime today I will post newborn photos of my babe. There really is no other love like that for your child. <3
happy first birthday my little monkey butt!! We love you more than anything! =)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
When I finally have kids, I want to do it without drugs, mainly because my irrational fear of needles and I don't like the idea of it being in my spine... Everyone tells me I'll cave, but I'm pretty stubborn, especially when someone tells me to do the opposite.
ReplyDeleteAnyway, good to know it's bearable. Haha.
Congrats on 1 year!
Happy Birthday to Cohen, and Happy Birthing Day to you, Katie :) Recovery was the hardest part for me too, I mean once you actually get the baby out you forget all the pain that led up to it... but sitting at home a day or two later with painful stitches and swollen nether regions is torture!
ReplyDeleteHappy happy birthday little man!!! What an amazing story Katie. You're an amazing mama!
ReplyDeleteHappy 1st Birthday to your lil man! What an amazing birth story!!! You are definitely an amazing Momma...I am such a wimp & could never survive without an epidural. Although I wouldn't have wanted to with Addison since she weighed 10lbs, 6oz!!! Although, I'd do it all over again just to have that little one in my arms!
ReplyDeleteI remember Addison being that big!! That was right after I started at West Park. =)
ReplyDeleteThanks ladies! We had a lovely day today.
I'm late reading this but I'm so glad that I did. Thanks for sharing this, ma'am! You ARE a superwoman!!!
ReplyDeleteNot that I'm seeing babies in my near future... but I found this to be very inspiring. :)
I'm late to post, but wanted to say Happy Birthday to little Cohen! It looks like you all had a fun filled day from the pictures: ) Amazing how fast your birth went too. Great job Katie!
ReplyDelete