Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Tuesday Tidbit

I'm trying out something new... on Tuesdays (when I remember), I'm going to post a tidbit about myself.  So, here goes.

I like challenges, but only ones I know I can come out victorious.  As soon as I even *think* I may not be able to do it, I give in, give up, cave, get scared, start sweating, doubt myself.  I am so afraid of failure that if I think it's imminent, I'd rather not even try.  Can't fail if you didn't try, right?  Well, that in and of itself is failing, but my warped brain doesn't see it that way. 

This all stems from my being told I'm so smart, so awesome, so perfect all.the.time growing up.  Yes, tell me those things when appropriate, but not because I drew a straight line.  Not because I blinked.  Tell me "I'm so proud of your motivation, I can see the effort you're putting in is really paying off" not "You're so smart and perfect I knew you could do it."  Encourage the effort.   Praise becomes meaningless if it's given out at every turn and corner and straight and nook and cranny.  If everything is awesome, wonderful, amazing, beautiful, then really everything is the same and average and nothing is then truly awesome, wonderful, amazing, beautiful. 

On the other hand, don't give out none at all.  I see that with Scott.  He didn't get hardly any of that type of praise growing up.  I bet that's why we fit so well.  We come from such opposites.  Hopefully he and I can create a happy balance together.  I think so. 

No comments:

Post a Comment