Wednesday, September 7, 2011

Sensory Table

The wood part of this table was initially for our crib.  We had it sidecarred to our bed and the frame that it came with broke when I tried to lay on it to nurse Cohen to sleep.  (That never worked anyway so when we moved we didn't set it up like that again.)  So Scott made this for us to use.  It's just 2x4s and some plywood on top.  Really nothing fancy at all.  

We got a "super tub" from Lowes.  That's what the black tub is called.  It was under $6 and located by the concrete mix stuff by lumber.  I traced it on the table and then drew another line in a bit since I wanted the lip of the tub to sit on the table and hold itself in place like that.  





The stuff we used to hold our bathtub tiles in place is called Bondera.  We had some leftover and so that's what I used.  It's super easy to work with.  It's like super sticky double stick tape essentially.  Also all the tiles I used we had already.  And the grout was left over too.





The tiles came on sheets but they didn't line up exactly and I didn't want to cut them so I just separated and laid each tile individually to make it work.  The lines aren't perfect but I don't think the users will mind. :)

 Tiled and grouted. I didn't like the way the edges looked so I went to Lowes and found some trim pieces.  They were 36" long and about a 1/4 inch thick.  I just used my dremel to cut them to size and glued/stapled them on there.  I think I used 5 maybe and they were only $1.68 each.  I didn't remember to take photos of that so you'll just have to pay attention in later ones. 
 


 See the trim here?  Much nicer looking. 
 And the tub is very strong and sturdy and is Cohen approved!!




 Coat one of stain and finish.  While I was at Lowes looking for the trim pieces I looked at the "oops" paints and on that shelf were some tubes of this Minwax stuff that was marked down to $2.67.  It only took me one tube to do the table and I still have some left.


 Coat number two and a cleaned up back porch!



Here's a view with the tub removed.  Makes it easy for cleaning if necessary.  Also, see that rounded bullnose tile?  We had those too.  That was last minute innovation.  The tiles I was using were too big to add another one to that space and without something there, the wood would have shown.  It actually works out really well because it catches the tub and keeps it from sliding around.

So there you have it.  That's how we made our sensory table!  I may lacquer the legs still since it is outside but I'm not 100% sold on the green.  So I'll wait it out for a bit before I decide. 

4 comments:

  1. Katie, you done GOOD! That is so rad. You got mad skills mama!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow! You guys are super crafty! Nice work!
    -Kolena

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ever since I saw pics of this on FB, you've had me dreaming!! It is awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks ladies! You should all come down to the bottom of Louisiana and have a sensory play date with us!! ;)

    ReplyDelete